Saturday, July 5, 2008

Mom and Dad closeness

In the text it describes a gendered closeness perspective. Floyd took an the differences in affection by gender. Floyd noticed that women were more open in their affection with acts such as hugging kissing and saying "I love you". While Men developed closeness through activities or advice. this made me think about my parents. Yes my dad and I say I love you when we get off the phone or when i come back home from a weekend at their house, but it is not at random moments like my mother. My mom with send text messages to me while I am at work saying "I just want you to know i love you". For me, I know she loves me, and i Know how she feels, but when she uses it over and over again it loses its meaning. Not that I do not love my mom but she says it too much. When my dad and I say those words it is because we are leaving for the time being and do not know when we will talk or see each other, so the words mean a little more to me when my dad says them. And my father and I did engage in the affection through sports activities because that is all that my twin brother and I did. It seems to me that the affection closely relates to the social roles that each parent plays, the father who is supposed to be strong and tough, does not do much hugging or kissing like the mother. The mother who is supposed to be the caretaker well handle the emotional support and feeding practices.

1 comment:

kcee said...

zqzyrdhI kind of have the same relationship you have with your parents. I am close with both but my mother has no problem telling me she loves me or hugging or just doing little intimate things like that. However on the other hand my dad and I are not very intimate like that. I do think we are close and I can talk to him but we really don't hug or say I love you like that. My father was one of fourteen children so he really didn't have a closeness like that with his parents so I think he really isn't sure how to share his feelings and be intimate like that with his own children.